Monday 19 September 2011

Thank You.

Its been nearly three months since I ended my journey of a lifetime, and although I want to recap what happened since then, I more than anything want to thank everyone. I was shown such stalwart support towards my cause, it really gave me an unexpected lesson in the immense capacity of human generosity. It was people taking the time to make a donation, or give a kind word that really kept me going during the ride.

After getting back home I promptly left for Ecuador, and so there I was heading down south for another adventure of a lifetime. My experience there was simply supernatural, from the incredible vistas of the Andes to the heart enthralling time spent swimming with sea turtles. But what really stuck with me the most was the experience building the houses with the people who would be living in them. On our last day of building (while we were leaving and saying our good-byes) a village man came up to me with tears in his eyes, embraced me and began to speak to me in spanish. I had absolutely no idea what he was saying, but I had never understood someone more clearly. The gratitude that radiated from his eyes and smile will never leave me, and it was that moment that made me realize that the value of a human life really is what you leave behind in the hearts of others.

I've experienced many events this summer that really can't be described in words. So I think I will have to use the words of another:

In the words of Frodo Baggins while ascending Mount Doom to throw the one ring into the lava: 'I couldn't have done it without you!'


I will leave the donation site open for one more week, in case there is anyone else who would like to contribute either to my journey or in memory of Terry Fox (whose annual memorial run happened yesterday)

Cancer Donations: Here


No comments:

Post a Comment